Thursday, August 28, 2008

Sweaty palms

So, I had a job interview today. No matter how many times I do it, I have to surreptitiously wipe my hand on my skirt before the obligatory handshake, and hope I don't sweat through my extra-strength deodorant plus dusting powder before we wrap it up. The fact that it was the hottest day of the year in these parts did nothing to help and everything to hinder the situation. I despair of ever becoming confident meeting and talking with new people. Especially people in (perceived) authority. This is me outgrowing the crippling shyness of my childhood.

Despite my jitters, I do give good interview and may, indeed, have caught this job. Another retail position for another "green" company that wants to prove itself in the eco market. At least it is a local shop with some pleasant-seeming people and lots of covetable products. (Would I get a discount? Whee! more stuff!) But... but, essentially another boring retail job. Don't get me wrong, it's been almost a year since I've had a job and I am broke beyond belief; I will jump to it if they want to hire me. My options are slim, and have been for awhile. If it hadn't been for my family and boyfriend this past year, this little mommy-and-daughter boat would have sunk.

It's not that I don't want to work, though I will freely admit to a lazy approach to career planning, which has not served me well. My bad; my fault. I'm (still) working on it. What I do want, however, is a job that is interesting, stimulating, pays a reasonable wage, and acknowledges that it is never going to be the primary priority of my life while my child is. Oh yeah, part-time. Is this a fantasy? Throw in a desire for a little healthcare benefit and it really is beyond reality.

So what are my options? Well, the sitting on my ass for a year experiment is officially a failure. All I did was exacerbate my worst habits and outgrow my clothes. Next plan: back to school. Since my girl is finally enrolled in our increasingly dodgy public school system and I do not have to pay for daycare, a part-time school/work/mom schedule is feasible. I am taking a writing class that is very occupation-focused, a change from the theoretical, liberal-arts-based education I know and love. It is another step in my ongoing search for a vocation I can love and live without sacrificing too much of the rest of me.

In the meantime, back to retail.

1 comment:

kath said...

As I clearly recall, you do indeed give good interview. Good luck and try not to spend your whole paycheck on the covetable stuff - a 30% discount is still 100% money!