Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Short vs. long

Okay, so I mentioned my haircut, right? It’s totally neat and chic and arty and fun and – short.

See, I used to have long hair, for ages. Short hair looks better on me though, and it’s hella (as they say ‘round here) easy to make look good (thank you, Aveda).

But.

Guys don’t flirt with me *nearly* as much. And this bothers me.
I can’t help it. Its true that I’m not looking for a date, I’ve got a steady, but I’m not living in a cave, free from all societal pressures, and so yes, I value males telling me I’m cute.

And I’m not *less* cute than when I had long hair, there’s just something guy-pulling about long hair.

It seems sort of hypocritical of me to both value the flirt attention but be mad that guys like some stereotypical maidenly image. But, you know, I am.

I am still thinking about this. Sometimes I decide that I’ll go back to long hair, even though I know I looked much less put together, more frumpy, and also I had to constantly wash it. Then I want to smack myself and say, ‘Hello, you look good, shut up already.’

1 comment:

Cara dB said...

Hmmm. I feel like I don't get flirted with at all since I started wearing a ring, length of hair be damned. Which is too bad since it's a nice ego stroke. Theoretically I should be above all that and, you know, realize that it's the patriarchal values which place such a high value on women being attractive and blah blah blah ... but I'm human. And anyway, my husband loves being flirted with too (usually youngsters approach him after he's just played a show.) So it's not just a girl thing.