Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Girl to woman

Why Weekday Girl and not Weekday Woman? (Or Weekend Woman, even?) I mean, I’m over thirty, and a mom – I’m a woman, whether I like it or not. Why trivialize womanhood, turn myself into a “chick” instead of an empowered adult?

My only answer is that every woman still has her girl inside – that hopeful, ambitious seven-year-old who dreamed of time travel or ponies or the White House. I’m pretty in touch with that inner kid, and she’s the part of me that is willing to take on the world.

So I know it’s a controversial title, but all the same, Hail to the Girls!
(And the Weekday part is because the things we’re talking about are part of our everyday lives – my haircut, your boss, the governor’s health care policy…these things are definitely around every day.)

No comments: