Saturday, August 16, 2008

Finally, a hilarious board game just for women, exclamation mark

I was walking through Borders today (on my way to all the fun Paperchase stuff – but that’s for a different blog) when I literally stopped in my tracks.

I had caught sight of this.




Even without a closer look at the box, my heart sank. Please don’t let this be a board game only for women.

  • Requires female intuition and humor (not included).
  • A Dame hilarious game for women of all ages (17+). 2-8 players.

The whole thing just pisses me off. First of all, dame. Dame? Who is marketing this? What’s the demographic – I am guessing the Sex and the City one judging from the photo on their website, but seriously, when’s the last time you heard someone calling themselves a dame. If they weren’t in a revival of Guys and Dolls.

First of all, a game just for women is already weird. I mean, yeah, sometimes it’s fun to hang out only with girlfriends, but what the hell is wrong with Trivial Pursuit?

Secondly, this thing is so condescending it makes me what to hurl the box to the floor and step on it.

Here’s a sample “dame dilemma” that you have to solve in some “hilarious dame” type of way.

  • “I just got the worst haircut of my life, what’s a DAME to do?!”

[Notice the question mark followed by a bang. Because girls! are so excited! all the time!!!!”

The options – on cards -- are:

  • Remember there are no accidents
  • Get out the scissors.
  • Think, this too shall pass.
  • Put on a push up bra. [As they say on the internet, wtf?]
  • Have a good cry.
  • Declare cocktail hour! [There comes the bang again.]

I have no clue how this game is scored, nor do I care. I think it's about guessing your friend's reactions -- and I think you all can guess mine.

2 comments:

Kaethe said...

Ew, it's one of those Cosmo quizzes made into a board game. I hate that stuff.

"Dame" is funny. It's pure mid-century musical. I don't think I've ever heard a real person use "dame" outside of a script.

EmilyRS said...

That game sounds worse than the atrocious Battle of the Sexes, which wasn't even fun enough to play while drunk. Men answer questions about women (fashion and domesticity) while women answer questions about men (sports and home repair).