Thursday, August 21, 2008

Hairless

So I shave. Not everything (!) but my legs and armpits. I lived for many years in a European country where, contrary to American assumptions, shaving was mandatory. That is, almost everybody did it, and if you didn’t, you were gross. I didn’t want to be gross, so I shaved.

Before that, I went to college in a pretty hippyfied town where it was cool grunge nature girl not to shave – a trend I also slavishly followed, in my purple plaid, flannel men’s shirt and too big green corduroys.

But now I’m back in America, and I still shave…but sometimes I wonder why.

Well, honestly, I still do it to conform. The only problem is, what am I conforming with? I mean, why are women supposed to be hairless? Because it references youth –- and as the parent of an actual naturally hairless pre-pre-prepubescent girl, I am kind of disturbed by my own behavior.

But not enough to stop shaving.

No comments: