Friday, September 19, 2008

School work

Things are getting busy around here. There is always something happening around Small Person's school now; keeping track of the paperwork is a quite a job by itself. Today we got up early, put our work clothes on and headed to school for the annual clean up day. We could have slept in longer, but I'd rather get my chores done early to leave enough room for later fun. We rolled into the parking lot on time to find one other car parked there. One. It belonged to the parents facilitating the event.

I know the basic definition implies that a "Volunteer Work Day" is not mandatory. I know people like to sleep in, or attend services, or want their day off to be just that. I also know that the schools need all the help they can get. I am not excusing our state legislature (or our national educational priorities, for that matter) for its part in this situation, but, c'mon people. One hour? Is that too much to ask?

I don't really have extra funds to contribute to the umpteen raffles, sales, and incentive programs that the local parents' group coordinates. What I do have is some extra time, so that is the currency I spend. I also sincerely believe that my child will learn by my example and today that example showed her how much her parents care about her school. No matter that she tired of picking up garbage after fifteen minutes and headed to the playground. She's five, I give her a pass. I also thoroughly appreciate those that do contribute cash or are running the other fundraising events. I'm generous, I'll give them a pass, too. But, based on my glance at the list of expected volunteers, that must be the remaining 99% of parents whose children attend this small school and decided they didn't need to help out today.

Yeah, let's go with that explanation, it's the one most likely to cheer me up.

No comments: