Sunday, September 14, 2008

My old ponies

Butterscotch and Blossom sit on the windowsill in my daughter’s play area. They were born in 1982, so they’re getting on in age – Blossom’s got missing hair, artfully replaced by a bunch of lilac and yellow ribbons – but their expressions are still patient and placid, friendly and calm.

They’re My Little Ponies -- the Barbies of the animal kingdom, with their girlish prancing forms and large, coy eyes. And they are my My Little Ponies, accumulated during the years when pre-teen horse craziness and an affinity for bright colors intersected.

I had many, and last time we were at my mother’s house we dug them out of the closet for my daughter.

But I feel weird about them, the way they are anthropomorphized – in a way that suggests, if not overtly, sexiness and all the “girl” qualities of flirtatiousness and shiny, shiny hair.

Blossom and Butterscotch are from the first run of ponies, before they got quite so bad, but I have some from later years, too, and they only get more ridiculous.

I’m not sure if I want my daughter to subtly absorb all this weird stuff -- I mean, these ponies come with everything from sparkly combs to wedding dresses, disco gear and roller skates (all of which I own). I try to gracefully accept the fact that I should relax and let her organize them by size, which is what she does with them, and stop worrying. (Of course I could always sell them…)

But they do sort of bug me out. I don't approve and at the same time I cherish them in the way one cherishes a loved toy from a happy childhood.

Especially old Blossom.

3 comments:

kath said...

I'm always really glad I had boys, but sometimes my friends with girls remind me how really REALLY glad I am. I never have to worry about digging out my mohawked barbies. And I can't even think about the whole bratz thing. Just, thank god.

Kaethe said...

Both my daughters went into hypergirl mode around age three. I let them, I indulged them even. Both passed back out again by six.

I'm too old for the ponies, but the youngest took a fancy to them. Sometimes it's fun to revel in the fabulousness and girl power of it, and other times we try to figure out where the ponies get their energy from, and their water, and how do they reproduce?

Anna said...

I should have known you were a pony girl.

Yeah, bratz are why I never take my girl to the toy store.